About Methyl Methacrylate (MMA) Paint
Methyl methacrylate (MMA) paint is a two-component liquid traffic paint. MMA is one part pigmented resin and one part catalyst. Mix ratios are somewhat flexible, depending on use and application equipment. MMA forms a strong bond to pavement surfaces for increased durability and longevity compared to standard traffic paint.
MMA is normally applied two to three (or more) times the thickness of traditional markings. Due to its enhanced durability and cost-effectiveness, MMA paint is used for striping and marking applications on bike lanes, bus lanes, heavily trafficked intersections , roundabouts, and other areas exposed to high stress and harsh weather conditions. MMA is widely specified in Alaska, to withstand frequent and aggressive winter snowplowing.
MMA is designed to resist antifreeze, oils, and other chemicals found on roadway surfaces.
Benefits of MMA Paint
MMA traffic paint offers numerous advantages over more conventional options. These advantages include:
- Durability. MMA is extremely durable. Road markings often require regular refreshing or replacing to ensure visibility. With MMA pavement markings, the amount of time needed between refreshes increases, sometimes by years. This reduces disruption on critical roads and high-traffic areas.
- Longevity. MMA paint creates a strong bond with pavement and concrete surfaces through chemical curing. MMA lasts as long as 10 years, even in extreme weather conditions.
- Ideal for cold environments. MMA traffic paint is widely used in areas with harsh winter conditions due to its ability to hold up against studded tires and frequent snowplow hits.
- Stress resistance. MMA paint can withstand the constant stresses caused by turning tires and constant stops. This makes it ideal for intersections, bike lanes, crosswalks, parking lots, and other highly trafficked areas.
- Simple application and fast curing times. MMA paint can be applied at colder temperatures, requires no heating, and doesn’t need a primer to bond to concrete. Once applied, it cures in 15-30 minutes, mitigating the need for lengthy road closures.
- Lifetime cost-effectiveness. MMA is typically more expensive upfront, though the long life of the product offers an excellent payback in at least two ways: First, limited re-freshening of the lines saves on subsequent annual material usage. Second, road crews are not exposed to hazardous traffic conditions during the life of the product, making worker safety an excellent added benefit. Of course, a third benefit is that drivers experience fewer traffic disruptions for marking roads, intersections and driving surfaces.
- Eco-friendly. Once cured, MMA traffic paint is free of toxic volatile organic compounds (VOCs). This makes it an environmentally friendly alternative to conventional marking and striping paints.
- Versatility. MMA paint can be combined with grit and glass beads to improve features such as reflectivity, visibility, and skid resistance.
How To Choose the Right Traffic Paint
With many traffic paint options available, it can be challenging to select the right one for your needs. To aid in your decision, consider the following factors:
- State and national regulations. Road marking paint regulations can vary from location to location, especially when it comes to VOC content. Be sure to check your area’s requirements and restrictions for VOC quantities when choosing a paint for your road marking project.
- Environmental conditions. Environmental conditions play a key role in how long road markings last. Areas regularly exposed to extreme weather elements will benefit from more durable paint options, such as MMA.
- Location. Consider where your road markings will be placed. High-traffic areas require a more heavy-duty, long-lasting paint, whereas areas that require high visibility need a paint with good reflectivity.
Regardless of the type of marking paint you choose, it’s important to work with an expert traffic paint supplier. Aexcel has over five decades of experience delivering innovative traffic marking products, including MMA two-component traffic marking systems.
MMA Paint by Aexcel
The many benefits of MMA paint make it a preferred choice for various marking and striping applications, even those in extreme environments. At Aexcel, our Roadzilla® MMA traffic marking system is tested and proven worldwide and delivers supreme durability for intersections, stop bars, crosswalks, snowplow traffic areas, and more.
For more information about our MMA traffic paint solutions, contact Aexcel today.